Thursday, March 3, 2011

Gas Tank Mount Rework 2





So I was not real stoked to do my final mock-up of the mounts and tunnel o then figure out the mounts were designed to be flush with the inside of the tunnel and not the outside. That would have required cutting a complex shape into the side of the tunnel. Not real easy with a cut off wheel and carbide burrs in U shaped sheet metal. So I have to whack off another .100" of material.
Curve in the mounts fit perfect to the tunnel. Grabbed all of the big C-clamps that I could find, held everything flat to the table, double checked the alignments of the mounts to each other, then tacked it together. Each mount got 4 tacks. The inside 'windows' in the tunnel will be cleaned up to the mount profile and welded from the inside, once tacked into the tank. I want to tack everything into the tank before finish welding. Hoping it will minimize the amount of twisting and warping that can happen. I was SO happy that the tunnel assembly and mounts fit like a glove on the frame. I could have not hoped for a better outcome. In case you are wondering, the last 2 pics are from my office at work. Yes, I have a disassembled motorcycle in office.

No comments:

Post a Comment