Sunday, April 10, 2011

Rear Fender



Fender work, you can see in the top pictures that the fender has a peak to it around the seam. Well this is much less than I started with. It sucked and looked like shit. I tried to pound it flat with a T-Dolly and body hammer, but it was so thin at the raised seam the the welds started cracking. It the fender was not shaped right and ground too much before I got it. I welded the entire inside, which also helped to suck in the sides a little. Now it is real close to being the finished left to right shape. I have some low spots on the seam and a few spots that need touch up welding fill. I am going to get the fender bolted to the bike before I finish the shape.

The grinding of the side shape ends and general work will move it around a little. So I will do all of the finish metalwork at the same time.

3 comments:

  1. Andy, I found your page with the late Jim Endicott's former drag car. Wonder how it's going. I worked on that car with Jim for many years and traveled with him to the races at Tri-City Dragway every weekend. I even went to Indy with him and we also made a few trips to Milan. I remember Bill Gerald, too. He had a 66'? Impala I believe. Well, it was a big Chevy, anyway. Believe it or not, I helped while Jim built the motor you used in your initial runs and helped put the spool in the rear end. That went in right after the first trip to Milan and on the first run he spilled the rear gears all over the starting line. Geez, so many things I can't remember them all. Also, unless my memory is failing I think the record was in H/S. Regardless, it was neat seeing the car after all these years. I have pics from Tri-City with Don Garlits, Shirley Muldowney, Don Prudhomme and bunches of stuff like that. I would have taken the car in a different time but my plate was full and I had no room for it. My name is Dan Harris and I lived across the street from Jim, Vickie and Scott starting in 67'. I still remember his 67 Z-28.
    Regards,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan, i just came across this comment. I dont know how I missed it until now, but I did. I would love to hear more about your time with Jim and see any pics you may have. Hit me up pls, andyfriar@aol.com or my cell 517.803.8557

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete