Monday, August 31, 2009

Gas Tank Pockets 2

I forgot to clean off the threaded bungs with lacquer thinner before I machined them and I pretty sure that is why they turned blue. The bluing was only surface deep and I did not put that much heat into the weld. They had oil on them from anti corrosion coating from the mill, as well as an extra concentrated cooling solution in the lathe. The welds will not be visible once I weld the mounts in the tank, all I care about is that they don't break and/or leak.
Double checked that they fit good, and got the welder fired up.

For both cost and ease of machining reasons, I made the gas tank mount out of 2 pieces. It didn't make sense to waste all of that material for machining. I added the .020" deep counterbore to ensure the threaded boss would be center in the threaded hole for alignment ease during assembly. Allows the 5/16-18 bolt to have over .700" of full thread engagement. Plenty for strength and a decent safety factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment