Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Front Axle

Entire front axle assembly in place. I need to take approx .050" off the front brake bracket to push the caliper towards the lower leg and this make it centered over the brake rotor. Check this off the list. I now have a full roller, with the spacing and brakes set. Gas tank next.
Spacer in place over newly machined axle, nut torqued down.
Here is how the nut looks on the lower leg. I am happy that it looks like it belongs. The flange of the nut matches up nicely with the boss landing.
So here is the axle I machined. Well actually Kris, the BAKER Machinist did this one. I can't run the CNC lathe like he can and I just wanted to get this part done, rather than taking the time and wasting the material (think money) while trying to learn more. Axle is made from: 4140 alloy steel, 28 rockwell C, pre-heat treated. Yields the strength and stifness that I need. This axle is different than a stock softail as my design has nuts on both ends. The stock H-D softail axle has a knob on side with a hole to place a drill through while torquing the front axle. It is a design befitting a lawnmower at Wal-Mart, not a custom bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment